Count your blessings [Odessa/Public]

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Count your blessings [Odessa/Public]

Post  DIDNEY WORL on Thu May 05, 2011 3:25 pm

Vesna was happy with her life. At least... She thought so. She was always told to count her blessings, of which she had a few. But what was one supposed to do with the curses? She supposed she had alot of those, but... She'd never really counted. Usually she wasnt one to dwell on bad things, but they needed to be addressed.

First off, she was a whore. That seemed like a bad thing-- well, it was-- as she was reminded not a half hour ago. But, pulling out a piece of paper, she wrote down 'selling sex' and split it into blessings and curses.

Curses:

Selling sex

Blessings:

Make good money
Don't have to work hard
Meet interesting people

Clearly, the blessings outweighed the curses. She was halfway pleased. Onto the next, more pressing matter.

Sonya--

Curses:
Too afraid to save sister
Whereabouts unknown

Blessings:
She was unhappy here
Maybe somewhere safe
If dead, seemed too sick to live

She spent some time considering these thoughts. It still seemed like a curse. But the paper said blessings. That's what she wanted to believe. That was what she had to believe.

Depositing her money under the bed, and having no more 'interesting people' to meet that day, she opened the door of her car and let the breeze wash out the sins of the day as she stood in the doorway and watched the more importants shuffle around leisurely. Someday, she would be among them.
DIDNEY WORL
You're circus folks now
You're circus folks now

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Count your blessings [Odessa/Public]

Post  Wet on Fri May 13, 2011 1:24 pm

Every so often Martin paused to contemplate his life's worth. His accomplishments. And his failures. This was one of those moments. He looked to the women loitering around their cars; the women with their sad, hollow faces. Prostitution was an interesting job, to say the least, and so many took it on unwillingly. But he was willing.

He had lived so many other lives, at so many other carnivals, and being a prostitute wasn’t so bad. The Croat nodded to himself, adjusting his navy waistcoat and patting the bullwhip curled at his hip to make sure it was still there. Lion taming was fulfilling enough, so why did he feel the need to throw his lot in with the prostitutes too?

‘A little extra cash never hurt anyone’, but that would have been a simple answer. So what was it?

“I don’t know.” Martin muttered to himself.

All that really mattered was that it had started to pay off. He was an ascending star, a prostitute of the highest class; he was ‘Saint Martin’ as his patrons had so affectionately dubbed him. And today, he was being moved to his new accommodations.

It would have helped if he knew where exactly those were. Gray orbs rose to a woman standing on her lonesome in front of one of the cars.

“Ah, sorry, could I borrow you for a moment, miss--?”

Wet
You're circus folks now
You're circus folks now

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DIDNEY WORL on Fri May 13, 2011 2:00 pm

There was a man walking around the cars-- most of the women were done until the evening, There was no real reason for him to be there. But... Then again, Dimitrie had told her there was some new blood in the brothel. He hadn't mentioned a man. Was that allowed? He sure did look good enough to be a prostitute. What was with the whip at his side...? What kind of prostitute was he?

What if he wasn't a prostitute? Why would he have the bullwhip, then? Vesna might not have been smart, but when she went on a tangent there was no way to stop her irrelevant thoughts.

Which was why she stared at him blankly, her focus caught nowhere behind him for a while after he addressed her. She came to with a start, her normal sweet smile returning, though delayed. "Ah-- sir-- well-- this car is closed until 9... There might be--" wait, what if he worked there now? Without finishing her sentence and seemingly totally switching direction, she stepped out of the car and locked the door behind her. "What can I help you with?"
DIDNEY WORL
You're circus folks now
You're circus folks now

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Wet on Fri May 13, 2011 2:14 pm

He brushed the stray strands of brown hair from his face and behind his ear, his lips curling into a small smile.

"I was told the car of the former highest paid p--" Prostitute was a harsh word, whore would have been even harsher, surely there was a gentler way of putting it. "courtesan was to fall to me...I'm having a bit of trouble finding it."

Martin paused, inwardly smirking at his own blunder, he hadn't exactly explained himself fully, now had he? He'd have to remedy that. "Ah, I'm the new addition to the brothel." His hands drifted to the bullwhip, as if to indicate that it wasn't necessarily for this job.

"Part time only, I'm afraid."

((Nghhh, such a terrible post.))

Wet
You're circus folks now
You're circus folks now

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DIDNEY WORL on Fri May 13, 2011 2:30 pm

If it was even possible for her to smile brighter, she was doing the best that she could. She'd always loved meeting new people. Maybe thats why her profession didn't bother her maybe as much as it should have. or maybe it was just her own wish to look over things that made her upset. At any rate, she was ecstatic he was there.

Immediately she looped her arm in his (it didn't surprise her that she was almost as tall as he was; the 5'10" woman was even more elevated with heels), "I can take you there. My name's Vesna," Then, as he pointed to the whip at his side, she let out a giggle. "Part time? What kinds of things do you do in your spare time, then?" Hopefully this new worker would be enough to distance her from her own troubles.

((Ditto that for this one. :/ XD))
DIDNEY WORL
You're circus folks now
You're circus folks now

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Wet on Fri May 13, 2011 2:45 pm

Martin sidestepped from the car with the woman. Vesna? And with her accent...it didn't take him more than a split second to put two and two together. So she was a fellow Slav? What luck. It was little things like these that had always helped to make him more comfortable with people (something that he did have trouble with, thought he managed to disguise his discomforts well enough.

"I work with the lions here." Though when he thought about it, he had to honestly say that the audience was more ferocious than the 'beast' were. At least his lions had never torn each other apart from him (it was these frenzied massacres that had first pushed him to find an alternative way to make up for the money that was lost).

"Name's Martin~" The name almost tasted foreign on his tongue, though he knew it very well to be his own.

The Croat's brows furrowed, he'd have to deal with the 'pimp'....eventually. "Mmm, Vesna, how long have you worked here with Mr...Ionescu?" Was that his name?

"What's he like?"

Might as well pick up some dirt on the man before he confronted him.

Wet
You're circus folks now
You're circus folks now

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DIDNEY WORL on Fri May 13, 2011 3:01 pm

"Martin, the lion man." She repeated. It wasn't exactly how he'd introduced himself but she tended to do that with anyone. Then, with another small laugh as she knocked her shoulder with his, "That works for both of your jobs."

She had to deliberate a while on his next query. How was Dimitrie, really? She had talked him down from terrifying highs and crashes, let him cry on her shoulder more than twice. He wasn't a well man. But of course, not everyone saw through the rose-colored lenses she wore after she'd seen his soul. "He's..." She tossed her head lightly from side to side, trying to knock the words into her mouth. "If you do your job well... He's a very nice man. But you could say many times we take care of him more than he cares for us." She lowered her voice to a whisper. "Drugs, Martin. He can't leave them alone..."
DIDNEY WORL
You're circus folks now
You're circus folks now

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Wet on Fri May 13, 2011 3:56 pm

Her hesitation was enough to indicate that his 'employer' would be no simple man to figure out. But hopefully he wouldn't be one too difficult to deal with.

Martin's ears perked up at the mention of drugs. He had his own personal experiences with a variety of those poisons (maybe he could mooch some off of the pimp?), but his employer was evidently...addicted? The man turned his head away as if to look to the cars they were passing, but it really only was to hide the faint shadow of a dark smirk. This could work for him.

"That’s unfortunate…but I’m sure you girls will manage to wean him off of those. Eventually, zar ne?”

That was a lie. A blatant lie (and he would have felt bad for it had he known the woman). Once drugs hooked a victim the only way to even attempt to get rid of the addiction was to tear it out. Like a parasite.

Wet
You're circus folks now
You're circus folks now

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DIDNEY WORL on Fri May 13, 2011 4:28 pm

After another moment of thought, she added, "Don't mention his family, if you want to have something for small talk. It's an easy way to make him hate you." Luckily for her, she had no desire to talk about her family, either. He was the first man there. The way he dealt with his hatred towards the women would be decidedly different than he would deal with Martin, should the need arise. She hoped it wouldn't.

"We will, someday soon," She was lying to herself. Like she did about every other thing that weighed on her. For a while, it was easy enough to trick her mind. Still, nowhere in her mind did she have any inkling of what exactly he was thinking.

Picking a key from the ring full of them she wore like a bracelet, she stopped at the closest car to the office and unlocked it. "Best room in the mansion," She joked. "Hope you like it."
DIDNEY WORL
You're circus folks now
You're circus folks now

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Wet on Fri May 13, 2011 5:51 pm

((And the computer ate my post the first time around BI Nghh ))

He nodded along to the woman’s words, compiling a mental checklist that would prepare him for dealing with his ‘employer’. The man sounded difficult, but not impossible to deal with. Besides, Martin had probably seen worse in lower circuses. …or at least he hoped that was the case. Either way, the man was not Italian, which was a nice bonus.

Italians…

He’d have to add that to the terms of his contract; no Italian customers. Not ever.

The two came to a halt in front of what Vesna confirmed were to be his new accommodations. The car looked homely enough, and if he didn’t like something he was sure that as a top earner he could always furnish it to his liking. It did look big enough to house him and his feline companions, so it would do just fine.

“Thank you~”

Martin made for the door but thought better of it and swivelled on the balls of his feet to face the woman once more.

"I know I've already asked you to take me this far, but....could you send him my way, mala?"

He knew he could damn well walk over to see the man, but he'd rather the man came to see /him/. Contracts were best settled in full privacy.

Wet
You're circus folks now
You're circus folks now

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DIDNEY WORL on Fri May 13, 2011 6:15 pm

She watched him appraise it and swelled with pride when he confirmed with his expression that it was adequate. Leave it to someone as dangerously optimistic as her to take pride in a brothel.

It wouldn't be right not to let him talk to the proprietor when he was a new employee. "Of course I will," She nodded and smiled, and finally, with one look back to see if he was still happy, exited to go complete his request.

----
The roots of his messy hair under the bleach were growing out. He was gaunt and tired looking. And he was not one to be bothered with petty things. Luckily the smile of sweet girl Vesna brightened his spirits, and he was mildly lighting a cigarette as he knocked on the door of the new employee's car. "Housekeeping." He coughed lightly. Truthfully Dimitrie didn't know how to deal with a male prostitute. He was male, he had a brain, he knew what he was doing.
DIDNEY WORL
You're circus folks now
You're circus folks now

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Wet on Fri May 13, 2011 6:36 pm

In the short time he had, Martin managed to tidy things up and make himself at home as best as he could (he preferred to take his time with things, but what could you do). The few things he owned had been brought over by some spare workers, and his previous suspicions were confirmed to be true; this car really was larger than his last.

He had set himself up by a large mirror that overtook one of the walls, gazing blankly as his own cigarette-smoke clouded reflection from the small sofa. It wasn’t narcissism, but a routine. For what purpose? He wasn’t really quite sure of that himself.

A knock at the door tore an annoyed roar from one of the three lions that ‘furnished’ the car with their large bodies. Martin patted the excess ash off of his cigarette, taking a quick drag before he made for the door. Even as he waved the lions off the large felines still insisted they crowd about his feet.

“Honestly, you three….be nice.” The Croat briefly checked that everything was in its place, thought it really was just a brief look over; he didn’t even bother doing up his cravat again. Not that people would mind seeing a little skin.

Martin opened the door a crack, pushing back one of the lions with his feet.

“Yes?...ah…Mr.Ionescu I presume?” Another drag from the cigarette, and the door swung open to allow the man to step inside…..and around the eager felines.

Wet
You're circus folks now
You're circus folks now

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DIDNEY WORL on Fri May 13, 2011 6:55 pm

Vesna had told him 'cats' not 'lions'. ...Then again, everything looked small to someone like her. At first sight of them he nearly dropped his cigarette. Finally, sucking in a breath, he squeezed past them into the car.

Another surprise (to a different degree, for sure), he had already partially furnished the place. To him it was just another assurance that as a man, he was smart enough to handle himself. Women were a different kind.

Smoke wafted lazily from his nose as he eyed the cats warily. "You wanted to see me?"
DIDNEY WORL
You're circus folks now
You're circus folks now

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Wet on Fri May 13, 2011 7:19 pm

Martin stepped past his employer, grabbing a stray bottle of Rakija he had left on the small coffee table in the car. He poured two shots, first a glass for his guest and then a second fuller one for himself.

"I did."

He motioned for the man to sit in the large sofa (only the best for a guest~), sliding the shot glass across the table before taking a seat himself on a smaller armchair. The Croat waited for the Dimitrie to take his place before finally speaking up with a genuine smile.

“I’m not the sort to beat around the bush…I’d like for us to decide upon the terms of my employment under you.”

The cigarette smoke gathered about him like a halo; Saint Martin indeed. His hand stretched out to pat the mane of one of the felines as it had strayed over to lean against his armchair.

“I am no one’s bitch, Ionescu, and I won’t be taken advantage of.”

Wet
You're circus folks now
You're circus folks now

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DIDNEY WORL on Fri May 13, 2011 7:36 pm

He sat down, relieved to see the animals were well trained. And of course, the alcohol helped to relax him a bit. His condition was one of extremes. Extremely relaxed or trapped in the horror of withdrawal. Taking the shot gratefully, he was glad it all seemed like business as usual.

Until that last bit. Had that come from a woman, well, she would have gotten a beating, for sure. One that she wouldn't forget. But from a man? Well. It just made him laugh. And laugh he did. "Bitch? Ha-- I don't see tits on you." The laughing rolled into an unhealthy cough and he had to pour himself another shot to be able to speak again. "All I need is 30 percent of your income and we're golden. No one said anything about no bitch." He assured. "But all this before I even get to know you? That seems pretty callous, don't it?"
DIDNEY WORL
You're circus folks now
You're circus folks now

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Wet on Fri May 13, 2011 7:58 pm

Martin downed his shot without a flinch and made for another, tapping his fingers against the bottle. He almost considered bullying the man into lowering the share he was to take, but that would have just been plain rude.

"I'm merely drawing out the lines. Rather we have business dealt with first." The Croat chuckled, letting the alcohol sink in with another swallow. Now to bring up his second point.

"I wonder...if I could also receive my share of the payment in something other than money?" The man's mind may have jumped to more visceral thoughts at the proposition, but Martin had no mind to be paid in favors. If he wanted anything like that he'd get it elsewhere.

"In drugs, I mean."

Wet
You're circus folks now
You're circus folks now

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DIDNEY WORL on Fri May 13, 2011 8:44 pm

It was all well and good until he mentioned the drugs. He became cold, certainly. Cold and quiet. He had enough doses for himself.... But as an addict, he didn't want to let go of the others. Studying the shot glass, he replied after a while of thought, "You realize prices fluctuate on certain products. I can't guarantee the same amount for the same pay."

And he wasn't going to give him his money's worth. That was for sure. He would share for the money, but wouldn't give the right amount in return. "All I have now is cocaine pills and ether. Bound to get others soon--" needed to get others. "Do you want in?"
DIDNEY WORL
You're circus folks now
You're circus folks now

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Wet on Fri May 13, 2011 9:12 pm

Though he upheld some semblance of politeness, Martin couldn't help but let his eyes visibly narrow at the man. Contracting drugs from addicts, and getting your equal share was painfully difficult. If you wanted a good deal it would have been wiser to go to a dealer who did not get high off of his own stuff.

"Sure.....if you'll lower the share you take in cash to 25 percent." That may have been bolder then he had meant for it to be, but he had to keep the addict in check.

"I imagine my own earnings will fluctuate just as your drugs do. But---you’ll profit more on me than you will on all the girls together.

It may have seemed an extravagant claim to make, but it was one that rung true. The eerie hold he seemed to hold over the desires of others had always left him the top earner at his previous circuses.

“Would be a fair way to balance things out.”

Wet
You're circus folks now
You're circus folks now

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DIDNEY WORL on Fri May 13, 2011 9:25 pm

Really, what was another 5 percent? He wasn't losing anything by hiring him. "Fine. 25, but that's as low as it'll get. Do a bad job, it gets raised."

He took in the man's challenge with all the interest of a skeptic who was in a drug daze. Luckily, that buzz reminded him why he was negotiating. "More than all the girls?" Dimitrie snorted. "That's a tall order. How about we make this interesting--" He tapped the ash of the cigarette to the floor. "One week. You make what you say you will... And I'll get you the drugs and your 25 percent."
DIDNEY WORL
You're circus folks now
You're circus folks now

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Wet on Fri May 13, 2011 10:08 pm

Martin did his best to restrict his surprise at the man actually agreeing to the deal, but even so he couldn’t hide his growing smile as his brows perked. The smile almost faltered as Dimitrie decided to make things even more interesting, but considering what he could gain….Martin was willing to take him up on the challenge.

“A week?” He made as if to act like he was thinking about, mulling over the pros and cons of the weighty decision, but really…he had already decided.

“I won’t disappoint you.” Out of habit he reached over to shake the man’s hand, and seal the deal with another drink…though he almost would have rather flipped the table for the cigarette ashes the man had left all over his floor.

Wet
You're circus folks now
You're circus folks now

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top