Welcome To the Carnival
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Because I'm Bad with Explanations--

4 posters

Go down

Because I'm Bad with Explanations-- Empty Because I'm Bad with Explanations--

Post  DIDNEY WORL Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:16 pm

It's been clear to me that i didn't explain some concepts of this well enough, and many of us are on different pages with this XD It is my fault, this is so much more AU than other AU's....

1. This is not expressly IN the 1930's. WHICH MEANS... We are not gearing up for WW2, we are not waiting for the New Deal to be passed, etc.... it is a universe much like 1930's America, where carnivals were very popular. There is a drought, people are poor, and people are all dressed for the times. But that is all the specifics that are there. If it was a period au, half of the ocs i apped would be pretty un-rpable. As in... almost all of them. XD Be aware that everything in your character's history has already happened by this point, you're not leaving things out, and this is where there needs to be some suspension of belief.

2. SO MUCH AU--

With this rp, there's alot of creative license involved. The point is to take the history of your place, and convert it to human terms, like you've already done with their entire character development, and translate it to the setting. For instance.

Vienna is no longer the former bitter capital of the Austrian empire, she's the heiress to a carnival dynasty that goes back for generations, but the power is slowly slipping away from her.

The carnival dynasty represents the way that the Hapsburgs operated, as does her power/role in the carnival.

They are still people from their respective regions though~

AND THE REST WE WILL HAVE TO PLAY BY EAR. c:
DIDNEY WORL
DIDNEY WORL
You're circus folks now
You're circus folks now

Back to top Go down

Because I'm Bad with Explanations-- Empty Re: Because I'm Bad with Explanations--

Post  nahn-SEK-wuh-tuhr Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:49 pm

I was on board with the first point, but now I'm a bit confused. So...pretty much all of their canon history is just null and void? :( I can see how this will translate for some characters, but for some... ;; Like with Sofia, it wouldn't be conceivable that she, being a woman, would be a physicist, or even anywhere near the power plant if she wasn't personifying Chernobyl. :( And that's pretty much her entire character.
nahn-SEK-wuh-tuhr
nahn-SEK-wuh-tuhr
You're circus folks now
You're circus folks now

Back to top Go down

Because I'm Bad with Explanations-- Empty Re: Because I'm Bad with Explanations--

Post  DIDNEY WORL Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:00 pm

Well, that's where suspension of belief comes in, and recognizing that the customs of the era can be played around with a bit. This au was more for character development rather than super-history-writing, for that there's the aphoc rp XD

Actually I was on the fence about writing this until I read your post with Piter, talking about Moscow and such. I didn't really see a problem with Chernobyl, though. I thought you already figured her all out since nuclear power wasn't really much of a thing yet in the 1930s.

But I do get it would be difficult to transfer some history over...

Idk if I'm answering your questions huurrrggg I'm sorry ):
DIDNEY WORL
DIDNEY WORL
You're circus folks now
You're circus folks now

Back to top Go down

Post  harlequin Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:05 pm

IT's exactly what babby said-
I think there's more emphasis on creative license
They still represent their countries like babby said there attributes are the same and main experiences are the same however the history is not as concrete since this is a AU period it's more likely that certain gender roles would not be in place, you may see around the circuses Women are given various roles of entitlement and power so I think it's safe to say that the gender roles are not as concrete. So it's probably safe to say that the time period may have a more modern view depending on some things while some things remain in the past hence the AU

harlequin
You're circus folks now
You're circus folks now

Back to top Go down

Post  nahn-SEK-wuh-tuhr Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:35 pm

What is the meaning of Piter's life, if he can't hate Moscow?? D: /shotdown

I guess my problem is that I don't know the backstory, other than that there are two carnivals, and that this is sort of 30's-ish?

And...I am lost again; nuclear power wasn't a big thing in the 30's, but if all of their history has already happened, and this isn't the 30's anyways, then...? The timeline is kind of confusing me... Do they have modern technology? Or is it gone now? Are our characters still 'immortal' (or rather, have they been alive for a long time)? aslkfdskl--All of my characters are going to have to be changed. OTL

I'm sorry, I'm not trying to argue or nit-pick, I just want to make sure I get this down straight. :( Because when I do things wrong, I accordingly become a nervous wreck. OTL
nahn-SEK-wuh-tuhr
nahn-SEK-wuh-tuhr
You're circus folks now
You're circus folks now

Back to top Go down

Post  MOSSAD TRAINED SHARK Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:41 pm

P.S. Dearest Plum, I did the same exact thing as you. I accidently based Versailles' history like this is the 30s, and not like the 30s. :l But I have MSN so I just stressed out on msn at babby forever.

I am still a little confused, though. ):

MOSSAD TRAINED SHARK
MOSSAD TRAINED SHARK
You're circus folks now
You're circus folks now

Back to top Go down

Post  DIDNEY WORL Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:43 pm

He can't hate "moscow", but he can hate his brother who stole his fortune away when his father passed away B) That's what i mean.

Oh,you mean like a general world backstory?

I would say that the world has just been like this for a while, there hasnt been much change.

Yeah, I'm saying that it's right that she was a physicist, and whatnot, because this isnt EXACTLY the 30's, this is the 30's with creative license. It's modern technology... as if it were old, (but no tv, no internet, all that) imagine, a nuclear plant if it were to be created in the 30s. All old-looking and sepia and cool--

They have been alive for however many years old you say they are XD

I understand, we didn't really explain it all that much

AND OPPY, WHAT YOU MEAN???
DIDNEY WORL
DIDNEY WORL
You're circus folks now
You're circus folks now

Back to top Go down

Post  harlequin Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:55 pm

If you want something super concrete then here's the entire backstory

Much like WHE the world's regressed into a depression-esqute nature almost like history repeating itself, and has been that way for a number of years. ((it was going to be later reveled that a war of magic broke out and turned back time back due to the Original ringleaders spell which regressed everything to his childhood memories. No one remembers the war (or even had a complete memory of certain events since it's extremely fractured but they just remembered life changing events.))) ((And they are immortal but just don't realize it due to the war reset))

(there was still things like radio's, t.v.s, guns and cars, but everything else fell through cracks even though there seems to be recollection of events except for the war.) Due to the depressed states of these inhabitants many circuses have began popped up to fill the need for entertainment. The greatest of them all was a circus owned by a mysterious man who inspired thousands to smile again. From his legacy two ringleaders were born (spoilers alert they were brothers) who both wanted to join a circus. One man was a pompous consumed by unimaginable greed for talent and riches for his circus. He scoured the globe for "freaks" and stole them from their beds at night. In sharp contrast his brother was a humanitarian and believed that all things in the carnivals should be happy and festive. And with their growing rivalry main arguments between circus spurred. Both man wanted their idols top hat said to be the greatest power among the carnival circus. Blindly they looked for it for many many years but were unable to find it. And that's everything that I think I wrote down in my plot notes.)) does that answer any questions?

harlequin
You're circus folks now
You're circus folks now

Back to top Go down

Post  DIDNEY WORL Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:58 pm

((KINDA LIKE THIS---- /shot lmao, sorry, i just love his monologue. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzBaEPta8xM&feature=related ))
DIDNEY WORL
DIDNEY WORL
You're circus folks now
You're circus folks now

Back to top Go down

Post  harlequin Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:08 pm

@babby I losely based it off that XD
@Everyone I'm sorry I didn't post my complete plot notes earlier however it was going to be pivotal information later on in the plotline when they found the original ringleaders diary to search for clues to the location of the hat.

I kind of wanted it to be a surprise

But in otherwords everything everyone has posted is correct

harlequin
You're circus folks now
You're circus folks now

Back to top Go down

Post  nahn-SEK-wuh-tuhr Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:22 pm

ffff--I didn't realize it was going to be so AU. I don't think I could stretch their established characters to that extent; it's just not my thing. ;; I think I will just keep Itak and Sonya, since I've already gotten into the plot with them, and unclaim the rest. idk, I feel like I wanted to give Piter a trial run, but he wouldn't be the same person. <:( His canon history is so integral to him.

@Oppy: Oh god, I'm glad I'm not alone. :(
nahn-SEK-wuh-tuhr
nahn-SEK-wuh-tuhr
You're circus folks now
You're circus folks now

Back to top Go down

Post  DIDNEY WORL Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:24 pm

Oh, okay ): I'm sorry this wasn't put forth first, I feel really bad now
DIDNEY WORL
DIDNEY WORL
You're circus folks now
You're circus folks now

Back to top Go down

Post  harlequin Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:45 pm

@plum I'll just scrap those notes it's nothing to drop your characters over

If it would make you happy everything just regressed like WHE nothing would be wrong then

harlequin
You're circus folks now
You're circus folks now

Back to top Go down

Post  nahn-SEK-wuh-tuhr Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:56 pm

I insist that you don't change anything on my behalf, it will make me feel very bad. :( There is nothing wrong with the notes, I actually wrote that before you even posted them (but I deliberate on everything, that's why it takes me so long to reply to stuff, derp). I just don't feel comfortable with changing certain aspects about some of my character's histories, but this is not a reason to rewrite the whole rp!

Last edited by la prune on Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
nahn-SEK-wuh-tuhr
nahn-SEK-wuh-tuhr
You're circus folks now
You're circus folks now

Back to top Go down

Post  DIDNEY WORL Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:59 pm

I don't see changing anything, really, just simplifying and taking their character and putting it into the setting. History only comes in with their role in the carnival and their abilities. Then again, I don't have your characters XD orz i wish i could fix this
DIDNEY WORL
DIDNEY WORL
You're circus folks now
You're circus folks now

Back to top Go down

Post  nahn-SEK-wuh-tuhr Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:08 pm

@babby: idk, I guess if I would have to use a specific example, then I would have to say I would feel uncomfortable with someone like Itak. I mean, the history of oppression against the Ainu is such a critical aspect of his thoughts and personality. And since I belong to the race that instigated the oppression, I would feel very guilty by just ignoring it. ...Even if it shouldn't be that big of a deal. It would still bother me, personally. xD
nahn-SEK-wuh-tuhr
nahn-SEK-wuh-tuhr
You're circus folks now
You're circus folks now

Back to top Go down

Post  harlequin Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:09 pm

@plum then I think you're not getting something about my plot notes no history is changing only specific things like stlye so say if you remeber driving in.a modern car you know remember drriving in a older one nothing to important is changing only select memories, you can remember all the events that would shape someone that you would like

harlequin
You're circus folks now
You're circus folks now

Back to top Go down

Post  DIDNEY WORL Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:11 pm

There is most definitely a miscommunication here XDDD

That would still all happen, theres no ignoring it, it's just (and it is easier since we know each other's characters) that that is all assumed that it already happened. They are their same modern day interpretations, just stuck in a different setting. Don't think at all that I would ignore the concentration camps of Transnistria, or the effect WW! had on vienna's character ;;

SUSPENSION OF BELIEF-- like on that gorgeous picture you drew of the sattellite around the sun-- XD
DIDNEY WORL
DIDNEY WORL
You're circus folks now
You're circus folks now

Back to top Go down

Post  nahn-SEK-wuh-tuhr Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:28 pm

I get what you're both saying (I guess), but...it just doesn't make sense when applied to some of my characters. idk, I feel very uncomfortable debating this; it's not my plot/guidelines to argue about. :( I am a humble Jap; my nerves can only take so much. It will get ugly in here if I have to break down and start randomly apologizing and whatnot. XD I will just drop the ones who aren't involved already and make do with the others, so that this doesn't have to be an issue.
nahn-SEK-wuh-tuhr
nahn-SEK-wuh-tuhr
You're circus folks now
You're circus folks now

Back to top Go down

Post  DIDNEY WORL Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:42 pm

I totally understand =v= i was just still afraid there was a miscommunication XD
DIDNEY WORL
DIDNEY WORL
You're circus folks now
You're circus folks now

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum